It looks like the Orioles may be close on a deal for Gregg Zaun. There were reports that Boston was really gunning for him, but Zaun may be choosing a place where he’s familiar with and should get plenty of playing time before Wieters arrives.
From the Baltimore Sun: The Orioles appear to be very close to agreeing to terms with free agent catcher Gregg Zaun on a one-year contract. Barring another team coming in with a late bid, they could finalize a deal early next week.
The Orioles already have signed free agent Chad Moeller, but Zaun would be the starter until top prospect Matt Wieters is ready to move into the lineup.
As well, Spring Training tickets for the Baltimore Orioles went on sale this morning, and they are available on the team site.
From the Sun Sentinel Website: Individual tickets go on sale for Baltimore Orioles spring training games at 10 a.m. Saturday at Fort Lauderdale Stadium for what could be the team’s last spring in South Florida.
The team has been processing season ticket renewals. In addition to 19-game packages, the team has also been offering three four-game mini-plans. Just like last year, season ticket plans are the only way to secure box and reserved grandstand seats to games against the Boston Red Sox — on March 2 and 14. General admission tickets to the Red Sox games will go on sale Saturday, if there are any available.
- Jay Trucker of the Baltimore Examiner advocates signing Ty Wiggington. He may not be Mark Teixeira or a superstar, but his numbers are very solid, and I’m surprised I have heard very little about him at on the baseball related websites. He’s versatile, and like Aubrey Huff he doesn’t really play one position well; however, he’s one got strong bat.
- Spencer Fordin of the Orioles.com talks about the changes and hopes that manager Dave Trembley has for the upcoming 2009 season, as well mentions that the Orioles are still looking for a new spring training home.
- Scott Hoffman of the Orioles Hangout site gives us a brief rundown of what has been going on with the Hot Stove.
- Roy Firestone has a post up on Baltimore’s attendance dilemma on the Orioles Hangout site.
- SC of Camden Chat goes over Baltimore’s potential starting rotation which at the moment isn’t much aside from Jeremy Guthrie and Uehara. I still think the team should go after another veteran – i.e. Looper, etc. – that are still out there.
- Rex Snider of WNST believes that Brian Roberts should be traded.
- The Roar from 34 discusses the Uehara signing; as does Oriole Magic; the Washington Post; & Orioles Insider.
- Oriole Central thinks we have to be patient with the rebuilding process.
- The Wayward O has his thoughts on the whole Mark Teixeira hunt.
- Weaver’s Tantrum has their thoughts on how the Baltimore roster is shaping up so far.
- Dempsey’s Army has their projections on Jeremy Guthrie.